Fryeburg Fair 2019



       
         Another summer blasted by and here we are in October. Autumn means fair season, and locally, we have the Fryeburg fair. It is a large agricutural based fair, with lots of farm animals, exhibits and a midway for the kids. It is huge event for our small western Maine area, drawing tens of thousands of people every year.
         This makes the second year Cam and Cliff have worked there, and they both enjoy it. It is a long 8 days, as they have to report early and stay late. They are provided three hot meals a day, which is good, as it gets pretty cold at this time of year. The wind seems to just blow through the fairgrounds all the time, since it is nestled nicely in the white mountains. Cliff came home fairly frozen last night, and Cam, who works security, wasn't even going to get home until midnight or after. I am sure he was ready to get inside by that time.
          They are joined by Nolan this year, who wanted to earn some money, even though it meant missing a few days of school. He got his school work done early, and got permission, so off he went.
Nolan and Cliffy are working on parking and Cam works as security at the pulling ring. Cliff also helps on the wagon, helping people on and off as they get a tractor pulled wagon ride in from the big parking lot. He prefers that job, as he is definitely a social butterfly.
Nolie is a wild and crazy guy!
          I have been home alone all week, keeping busy with the animals, housework and dialysis. I changed my time for this week, going over for a 1215 appointment, so I can get home before dark. I am now officially an old lady who doesn't like driving after dark. When that happened..I don't know. Kinda snuck up on me. Well, I do know...it was when they came out with those BRIGHT BLUE headlights. I hate the glare, so early D it is!
       
sweet taters
         I am about to get ready for my massive turnip, beet and sweet potato marathon. Once Cliffy is done, we have to get on that. I am going to freeze and can the turnip..make pickled beets and cure the sweet potatoes. I have three bags of nice red tomatoes frozen and ready for a rainy day of canning. It has been dry, so I haven't done them yet, but will soon. I love to head into winter with as much food canned, frozen and preserved as possible. Maine has long....long....long...LONG winters.
       
          Liam and his girlfriend Gabby are here for the weekend. I think they are going over to the fair tomorrow, and we were chatting about the menfolk over there working. Liam said " Don't you think them working at the fair sounds like a song..like set to 'The Piano Man', or something?"
           Yes, Yes I do.

           The Traffic Man..sung to the tune of Piano Man by Billy Joel.   (ahem..)

         
           It's 9 am on a Saturday,
           Big old crowd, pouring in
           There's good ole Cliffy standing at the gate,
           Waving the line of cars right in.
         
           Wave that old flag, Mr Traffic Man,
           Wave it like mad everyday
           'Cuz we're all in the mood for a hot, fried dough
            And it's your job to park us today.

            Now Nolie is standing there in the grass,
            Clad in florescent bright yellow,
            He is just glad that he is not in class,
            Eating that school house lime jello.
         
            Wave that old flag, Mr Traffic Man,
            Wave it like mad everyday
            'Cuz we're all in the mood for a hot, fried dough
             And it's your turn to park us today.

            And Cameron is standing by the pulling ring,
            Manning that slow moving gate,
            Proudly wearing his security badge,
            Thinks it might get him a date.

            Wave that old flag, Mr Traffic Man,
            Wave it like mad everyday
            'Cuz we're all in the mood for a hot, fried dough
            And it's your job to park us today.

           Cliff says " Carmen, my feet are just killing me,"
           As the smile ran away from his face.
          "I'm sure that I could be a golf cart driver,
           Then I could just chat face to face."

           Wave that old flag, Mr Traffic Man,
           Wave it like mad everyday
           'Cuz we're all in the mood for a hot, fried dough
            And it's your job to park us today.

            The Midway, it sounds like a carnival
            And the noise, makes them want to drink beer
            They are finally working their last two days,
            When they get paychecks, they're all going to cheer.

            Wave that old flag, Mr Traffic Man,
            Wave it like mad everyday
            'Cuz we're all in the mood for a hot, fried dough
            And it's your turn to park us today.
 
           Ok. My work here is done. Got an apple pie ready to come out of the oven, groceries to go get, and a house that needs cleaning. I think I am headed to the fair tomorrow..Got a hot dough boy calling my name!  Over and out from Homeland Farm!
   
     

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Real Housewives of Bridgton Maine

Granny Nightgowns..NOT just for sleeping.

The Blessing